Thursday, August 5, 2010

Salzburg 2010: Lulu, Richter...

Even though it's not my first trip to Salzburger Festspiele I'm getting increasingly excited [taking off tomorrow]  ;)

The reason?! You might have already noticed that I'm an admirer of fine art -- I try and find the stuff I like in any style but I most resonate with modern and contemporary art -- so the program in Salzburg this year looks like a perfect hit to me: Daniel Richter created the sets for Lulu, and Jonathan Meese for Dionysus. Now combine these creations with live theater and a good/dramatic opera, and you get my dream-Lulu.

Cut from "Daily": Patricia Petibon and Vera Nemirova after the premiere of Lulu

I tried not to read any review about Lulu, to keep my enthusiasm [and potential surprises] intact. I did, however, google about Daniel Richer and came across the following video:




I love Berg, I very much like Michael Volle [memorable Wozzeck in a Kriegenburg's production at Munich], deliciously loopy Patricia Petibon, and all that with the luscious sound by Wiener Philharmoniker directed by always reliable Mark Albrecht -- heck, this Lulu's got everything to rock.
I must say that I've never seen a show produced by Vera Nemirova [her recently premiered Rheingold in Frankfurt was praised across the board] and that makes this Lulu salzbourgeoise ever more exciting.

On the day of Lulu, a quick visit to the Modern Art Museum in Salzburg to see the collection of Daniel Richter's paintings is a must -- ah, que la vie est belle :) 

Note that the ORF radio will live broadcast Lulu from Felsenreitschule next Saturday, August 7, at 19:30 (cet). Here is the link.

To know more about these two artists, here is a video of an interview with Daniel Richter, and one with Jonathan Meese.

No comments:

Post a Comment